[Jacob-list] shedding

2512 at nethawk.com 2512 at nethawk.com
Wed Jul 18 08:33:39 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/11/01 6:08:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jacobflock at aol.com writes:

  Perhaps
  someplace some differentiation between molting and shedding might be
  valuable.  I have sheared a dark ram that had cottted but, because it
  remained on the animal, I would not consider that shedding.  I'm slow to
  shear and if I waited for it to "molt away" the ram would overheat and die

Fred, molting and shedding are synonyms. If you want to split hairs (or
should I say "wool" in this case), then I believe the wool loosens, it
becomes itchy and irritating and then is shed by the sheep rubbing against
fences, etc. .

Joan Franklin

********
Sorry to jump in on this so late, we have been gone to the 4-H fair all last week and I saw this post as I was deleting.  This year we sheared late, in May.  In early April, about 4 of our yearling Jacob ewes shedded out almost completely.  I plucked a garbage bag off of each of them.  I am going to have to shear early March next year as they can't wait or their fleeces will be no good.  What I did pluck had no breaks in the wool and was very nice, what I left on them and had sheared I had to through away due to the breaks in the wool.  I had 12 other Jacobs that did not do  this.   All of my Shetlands "rooed" or shed, but I know it is not unusual for them.
Bonnie

Bonnie and Herb Sutten ~** Sheepy Thyme Farm**~Edmore, Michigan~**~
Llamas, California Variegated Mutant Sheep &  Natural Colored Romeldales
Jacob & Shetland Sheep, French Angora Rabbits,  ABCA Border Collies
http://www.agdomain.com/web/sheepythyme/ ** email: sheepythyme at nethawk.com