[Jacob-list] Hatch line

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Tue Jul 17 15:21:10 EDT 2001

At 12:47 PM 7/17/01 -0400, Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg wrote:
>Ed,
>Where did the Hatch line originate from?  where did he get them?  Is
>that known.
>Have you noticed that the east coast Jacob look different from the west
>coast?
>Edie.
>========

Well, since you asked the question and I had not talked to Geoff in about a
year [he sent a trailer out here and got all of my Churro-Hair sheep when I
decided to downsize] I just got thru talking to him.  He got his first 5
ewes from Cave Junction and Medford, Oregon - and he said Bill Herd had
told him that they originally came from The Catskill Game Farm in NY -
Jeugen Schultz[spelling??] was the owner and was an importer - primarily
from South Africa. He then got a ram from Dave Hale in Mo - Hale had the
Cape sale and a drive thru game farm and this ram had forward growing horns
and was pounding the cars as they drove thru!!!!  He used him until the old
Hatch ram was born from that flock.  He also bought everything that he
could at the Cape thru the following years and any other ewes that he could
find.  He outbid Luther and I on EVERYTHING that came thru the Cape - and
this was sometime in the mid to late 70s he said.  Then he bought 40 plus
from Bill Reynolds - said the coloration was bad to him [fadeing and off
colored] BUT they had the nicest and most consistent horns he had ever run
across - He said he culled heavily on these ewes but said he had to buy the
whole bunch to get want he wanted - He used the old Hatch ram he said for
years - he said he kept praying that he would not break a horn [he was the
only ram in the field with 60 or so ewes] = he said he knew with value was
nothing if a horn was broken and he thrrew exactly what he wanted.  I paid
him $500 for him when I got him. And almost backed out!!!  Which would have
been a bad mistake on my part if I had because he threw exactly what I
wanted also. So that is the Hatch story  -

====