[Jacob-list] Update and good news

Chovhani melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 30 16:39:11 EST 2001

Just to thank you all for your care and advice during our recent crisis with
Zoe, much-loved pet ewe:) She is now eating again enthusiastically, fighting
off the others for the hay, running about with her buddy (King, the Hereford
bull!) and seems recovered. I'll be watching for founder but at least it
doesn't look like she's going to miscarry, I hope the lamb isn't harmed.

What we did....well, after the initial crisis, which we dealt with by
syringing in Pepto-Bismol for the diarrhea, soda to avoid bloat, and
acidophulus powder to help the flora in the rumen, we were still faced with
a sad-looking girl with no appetite. We fed her live goat's yoghurt by
syringe every three hours, washed down with pedialyte, and after 5 days of
this she started eating again.

It's difficult to say how much or which bits of our intervention helped, but
I'm just happy she's "back", and wanted to share this with you in case in
can ever be of help to anyone else. I think I have read every Website on the
planet that covers acidosis etc, and from the wide variety of advice given,
it seems there is NO magic bullet here, and no real concensus, not even
among the world's top vets. I will be doing a piece on my website covering
all that I have learned in the past few weeks, and I'll let you know when it
goes up.

Melanie
http://www.geocities.com/onionperogie
http://earthhome.tripod.com

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing
it!"
 - Gary Zukav