[Jacob-list] Hypocalcemia/Toxemia/etc

Chovhani melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 22 15:03:14 EST 2001

Very sensible advice. For my situation, I'm assuming acidosis, knowing what
happened last week, yet not finding any bloating, I'm more looking at
complications from the binge, i.e. rumen damage. The only reason I also
considered the hypcalcaemia comments is simply that my girl IS due soon, and
it occurred to me I could be dealing with more than one issue.

The problem I have, and I know others have, is that I CAN'T get a vet's
diagnosis. I've been trying since Friday to get a vet out here, but it seems
they more "important" things to do. I agree that diagnosis is the key, and
with symptoms being so similar it's easy to treat for one thing when you
could be on the wrong course altogether. That's the reason I joined these
lists, to get the benefit of others' experiences, especially those of you
with YEARS of experience that no book can replace.

So, just to add another to the mix...while in the feed store, (where they
have never HEARD of Nutridrench or Cal Plus Gel, ah the joys of not living
in the USA.....) it was suggested I try Certo (Fruit Pectin) as a diarrhea
remedy.

I also found an extremely good website:
http://www.case-agworld.com/cAw.LU.nutr.html

It offers a suggestion in the case of acidosis "Electrolytes and buffers"
but doesn't go into any detail. Bearing in mind the problem I have with
obtaining anything in this area, what ARE these electrlolytes, and does
anyone have a mail-order supply of all these items they could recommend for
the future? Even if I end up losing this ewe, I'll be damned if it'll happen
again.

Melanie
http://www.geocities.com/onionperogie
http://earthhome.tripod.com