[Jacob-list] Re: dead sheep

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 14:24:33 EST 2001

Thanks to all who replied to my post about the death of my sheep.  I am still
trying to figure out what killed him.  I walked the field today and didn't
notice many any weeds growing yet, but I did see that a big limb from a dead
black walnut tree had fallen among some other dead limbs that were already
there.  I noticed that on the part of the tree that is still standing, there
are little ferns growing. There were no ferns on the part that had fallen.  I
recalled seeing Theo over there nibbling at the fallen tree a few days before
he died.  Could ferns growing on black walnut be toxic?

Also, some of the ground cover plant, vinca (with little purple flowers) has
crept into the field.  I kept a close watch on it last year and the sheep
nibbled on it some and they never had any problems.  Does anyone know if that
plant is toxic?  I asked our extension agent and he didn't know.

Thanks again to all who answered my post.

Sharon