[Jacob-list] Safeguard

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Feb 26 08:47:14 EST 2001

What is "block safeguard wormer?"  Is that something like a salt block?

Our only problem with safeguard (I use the paste) in this area is that is not very effective.
(I will admit that I do not worm often - about every three months at most.) Even after
following the recommended once a year program of worming for five consecutive days, I almost
lost a ewe lamb two years ago.  The fecal exam showed a very high concentration of internal
parasites.  One dose of ivermectin cleared up the infestation.  Also, we have found that
safeguard does not kill tapeworm.  We use either Valbezan (NOT on pregnant ewes) or Synanthex.
 I still will use Safeguard, but I don't rely on it as my only wormer.  All that is just for
this part of the country.  I'm sure that you will find that different wormers work best in
different parts of the country.

Linda

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:33:50 -0500, Connie Hackenburg wrote:
>We also use the block safeguard wormer here. I use it on all my sheep and goats. I have had
>no problems.
> Connie Hackenburg
> Lo-Co Meadows
> Jacob Sheep, Fainting Goats, Golden Retrievers, Arabian Horses

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep