[Jacob-list] Triplets

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Feb 22 11:37:57 EST 2001

I'm just in from the barn where RubyBelle delivered twins.  I'm afraid that I will have to
disagree with you or maybe I just misundersood.  The first lamb was born and the "heavy cord"
which was attached to the placenta was hanging out.  RubyBelle began her cleaning process (and
it is a EWE!!!!) and about 15 minutes later the next water bag appeared and the next lamb (a
ram, this time) was born.  At that point, both cords were hanging out. About 30 minutes later,
the afterbirths were expelled.

I've seen that particular sequence a number of times.  I've also seen waterbag, lamb,
waterbag, lamb and then the afterbirth.  A neighbor just had twin borns, each come out with
the waterbag - no lapse at all.

PW Lorraine delivered a beautiful lamb a few days ago, even if it is a ram.  These Jacob lambs
never cease to amaze me.  They are bouncing within a few minutes.  Lorraine was becoming quite
frustrated when she was trying to clean Truman and he would not be still! He was up and
chasing her udder but she insisted that he finish his bath first.

Linda

On Thu, 22 Feb 01 05:47:15 -0800, sbennett wrote:
>Yes, there is a way to tell if they're going to have more kids/lambs.
>After the first is born, if there is a heavy cord hanging out, it is
>attached to the placenta and that is all. If there is a very small cord,
>or no cord, another water bag and baby will follow.
>
>Debbie Bennett
>Feral Fibre
>
>>is there any way to know whether to have to look for more?  I hate to be
>>checking out every poor ewe that has delivered just because I thought she
>>looked big.

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep