[Jacob-list] Let the Lambing Begin!

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Fri Feb 16 19:37:25 EST 2001

Good Evening All--

Our first lambs arrived right before dusk just as I arrived home from
work.  Our "guess-timated" 13-year old Yakob-Tson Lady Jane delivered
two very good -sized, nicely spotted,  healthy girls in less than 15
minutes.

I had locked her in this morning, as it was evident she was close and
my biggest concern was how the new dog would react to the appearance of
lambs in the field with no one home, so into the maternity ward she
went.

Tonight, when I got out of the car, I called down to my husband (who was
feeding) and asked if we had a lamb yet.  He said, "Not yet, but likely
soon" and by the time I got to the pen to check on  her, she was already
cleaning off baby #1. He had just checked her 2 or three minutes before
and at that time there was no baby.   As we stood admiring the new
arrival and watched mom clean her up for the next few minutes, mom
turned and there was baby #2!

Because of her age, I really hoped she would only have one this year.
What a living testimonial for the attributes of this breed!  Jane has
been first to lamb every year that we have had her and it is always a
great beginning. With 9 more ewes to go, there WILL be challenges ahead
I'm sure, but tonight I am very grateful that this old girl has done
well  and made us proud once again.

We just received the registration certificate back this week on our new
ram...Maverick Jeeves, and these are the first of his babies!

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm