[Jacob-list] delayed deliveries

Mary Hansson iseespots at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 08:24:35 EST 2001

Hi all,

Mary---First off, Congratulations!---How long did you wait for the second
one to come?

I have had ewes deliver over 2.5 hours between lambs and the lambs and
mothers were quite normal.  The "standard" is 20 minutes from water bag to
baby, 20 minutes to next baby, and then they are usually done----have NO
CLUE on triplets how they might deviate from this typical time period.  I
have also had lambs come plopping out one behind the other.

My vet has been very good at getting me to SLOW DOWN and to sit there like
"Johnny Bench" rather than doing anything to speed nature along.  Lambs that
were born last night were an excellent example of letting nature take it's
course....

THAT EWE that pushed out her mucous plug 2 weeks ago Monday finally had
twins last night.  She was laying down, all sprawled out at 8 pm.  By 8:30,
she had expelled the initial water bag.  We didn't see hooves on the first
lamb until after 10:30.  The next one arrived about 11 pm.  Both are fine,
bouncing around, well bonded to mom, looking quite perky and happy.  The
second became stressed right before delivery, but that is quite typical it
seems of second ones---she came out partially yellow.

I had another ewe do this a few years back and the time period was much
longer for her.  In her case, her lambs were both quite normal and happy as
well.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, and German Angora Rabbits,
colored German Angora crosses and a few French.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.