[Jacob-list] Sick Ewe

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Fri Feb 16 07:56:57 EST 2001

This is not starting out to be a good year. Erin, our best four-horn
Jacob ewe, got ketosis. We gave her glycol in the morning and in the
afternoon she was still down, although giving birth. She was too weak to
deliver, so we pulled the lamb.

We've been using the drencher to give her water and molassas/sugar
solution to keep her alive. Also gave her a shot of LA200. She moves her
legs a bit and is conscious, but has been lying on her side all night.
Her head is bent back in the "star gazing" position discussed on one of
the lists earlier this year.

We tried to set her up but she rolled back over. Other than feeding her
via drencher, does anyone have any suggestions to try to pull her
through?

Meanwhile, her lamb is being bottle fed and is also feeding off the "bad
mom" ewe when we hold her for her lamb to feed.

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland
Website: http://members.home.net/rbfarm/