[Jacob-list] Rammed

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 4 08:52:57 EST 2001

Just to add to what I had sent before.  Wayne's form of discipline is to
hit the ram on the underside of the jaw with the top of his foot
continuously until the ram backs down. At the same time he is barking
not hollering NO NO.  The underside of the jaw is tender and this has a
great effect without harming the ram.  If this is done each time the ram
wants to butt he very quickly associates NO with it hurting and will
stop before he even starts to ram.  Just look in his eyes and you can
tell.
Also, our feeders are along the inside of the fence line and so are our
hay containers so we do not have to go into the fields unless we are
checking for something with an animal or it is raining.  Then we still
feed outside unless it is a gale and we put the hay inside the sheds
while the sheep are eating.
This saves time and headaches.
Wayne & Edie, Joy Farm