[Jacob-list] need help!

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Dec 13 15:10:09 EST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:47:10 -0800 (PST), Lane Harris wrote:
>Folks,
>We have a friend who has one of my favorite ewes.  A
>week ago they found her in the barn unable to get up
>in her hind legs.  She had been in with a ram and
>another ewe for two weeks without problems.  they had
>the vet see her and she has had two cortisone shots
>and some antibiotics.  She continues to eat, but has
>less appetite now thatn originally they feel.  They
>have her in a sling during the day in the barn to keep
>her upright with the ability to move a bit and they
>massage her legs.  she is put down on the hay at night
>to sleep.  she can move her legs, but cannot control
>them when she is left to stand alone....the legs will
>cross in the back and she cannot walk...front legs are
>fine. they have not seen any improvement in a
>week...is this too short a time.  they did not have an
>e-ray...vet said he could not feel a break...thought
>it was trauma or bruising of the spin or nerve due to
>injury.
>Have any of you had this problem...we do not want to
>have to put her down...she is only 8 years old and a
>fine sheep.  Need help and suggestions please.
>Lane Harris
>spottedsheep at yahoo.com

Lane,

I hope your ewe recovers.  What did your vet say?  When my ram suffered nerve damage
after being in the electric fence, the symptoms were similar.  Interestingly enough,
the vet did mention that the symptoms were consistent with those of meningeal worms.
 My ram could not move anything except his head (and that only slightly).  He did
recover after two weeks.  It took alot of work - about what your friend is doing for
her ewe.  Recovery was quite sudden.  One day he moved his legs a little while he
was laying on  his side and the next day he just kinda shook a little and stood up.

Linda

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM:
Patchwork Farm at Wolfpen Gap
http://www.PatchworkFibers.comhttp://www.patchworkfibers.com