[Jacob-list] (no subject)

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 09:59:09 EDT 2001

" The sheep superintendant of our fair said that because  our Jacob stood so
much shorter than the suffolk lambs the other children had to handle, and
because ours was so docile, it didn't give my child an opportunity to show
how well he could handle a difficult sheep when compared to the other kids."

I understand what you are saying, but it also tells me that your child spent
the extra time and effort to tame his sheep to make it docile and easy to
handle.  Why should he be penalized for that?  Jacobs are not naturally
"tame."  A couple of my lambs could probably give a Suffolk some stiff
competition in the "difficult sheep" category.  There is no reason why a
Suffolk sheep can't be made as tame as a Jacob.  My daughter's first Suffolk
lamb was just a big pet, and still is at age 2 1/2, (although a little on the
obnoxious side.)  I think there will be a lot of prejudices to overcome to
get a fair shake for Jacobs at fairs.  Maybe we will think of giving it a
shot next year.

Sharon