[Jacob-list] Jacobs at fairs in general

Yvonne Hart spottingchances_jacob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 07:41:52 EDT 2001

 The sheep superintendant of our fair said that because  our Jacob stood so much shorter than the suffolk lambs the other children had to handle, and because ours was so docile, it didn't give my child an opportunity to show how well he could handle a difficult sheep when compared to the other kids.
Yvonne Hart
  SharHill at aol.com wrote: My kids showed Suffolk lambs in 4-H for the last 2 years. My understanding
of the guidelines for showmanship is that it is the CHILD who is being
judged, rather than the lamb. The judge looks at how well the child has
trained the lamb to stand and accept the touch of others, how well the child
has cared for the lamb...feed, grooming, etc., the child's knowledge about
the animal, how the child presents himself/or herself, as well as how well he
presents the animal. It shouldn't really matter what kind of sheep is being
shown. You can have a lamb that places last in conformation, but 1st in
showmanship, because it is supposed to be the child who is being judged.
This is how it is in Georgia anyway. I don't know about other states. I
don't see how showing a Jacob at a fair for showmanship could hurt the breed
at all.

Sharon