[Jacob-list] horny question :o)

Lemon, Evalyn ELemon at peacehealth.org
Thu Aug 23 17:33:51 EDT 2001

I agree with Linda.  Soundness is very important.  Apart from what we each
want our sheep to look like and what the breed standards suggest, we must
think of the animal.  I don't want huge horns that seep and ooze and cause
the animal and myself constant distress just to get big horns.  And I don't
want to have to hand-deliver lambs, which endangers the lamb and the ewe,
because lambs are being breed for large heads to carry those horns.  Ask any
cattleman who has to pull all his calves every year because he breeds for
huge, heavy calves what his mortality rate is and then also ask him the
lifespan of his cows.  And then learn from what he tells you.

Evalyn Lemon
Maggie's Farm