[Jacob-list] Lilac color; Samples

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 14:13:27 EDT 2001

I have a commitment from the fiber people at Texas A&M to test some 'lilac'
samples for pigment color; is it brown-black (eumelanin) or yellow-brown
(pheomelanin), and other observations they can make.

I would like to send about ten samples; 2x2 inch sample of the 'lilac' staple
from pedigreed lilacs. It would be prefered that the lilacs from which a
sample is taken were unrelated. We do not have a sufficient number of
unrelated lilacs on our place. If you have a lilac fleece (from which you can
take a sample) or lilac fleece samples already taken that you would be
willing to forward to me I will forward them to TAMU for their observations.

To support the pedigree side, the minimum needed would be grandparents,
parents, and sample subject indicating for each: (1) black and white or lilac
color of parents and grandparents, (2) how you describe the 'lilac' color
(e.g., purple or fawn) or enclose a colored picture, and (3) percentage body
color.  The best information would be the observations for all progeny from
the grandparents forward.

Names of the sheep is optional but some form of identification should be
provided for the subject and pedigree.

If you want to participate, please send the sample and pedigree..and a
picture for cases of "undescribable" color....  by September 7 to:

Fred Horak
1165 E. Lucas Road
Lucas,  TX 75002-7455

Tests may take about two weeks.  Fred Horak