[Jacob-list] Fw: What is lilac?

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sun Aug 12 01:12:22 EDT 2001

I run a lilac ram with my ewes.  This year however I crossed a 4 horn black
and white lilac carrier with a 4 horn B and W ram no lilac in his papers.
The resulting ram lam is lilac.  However the ewe who is the mother to this
lilac carrier ewe has had 4 lambs out of the lilac ram and all have been
black and white.  Lilac X lilac always = lilac, but I have several colors of
lilac going.  The ram is a non fading chocolate lilac, while the lilac ewes
are varying shades of grey and taupe, and seem to fade as they age.  Most of
my lilac lambs look pretty dark at birth, but after a week or so they are
definitely dark brown. I went out and looked and you all are right, there is
a white eye ring on the lilac sheep.  I find the diversity interesting and
the wool colors delightful. Not only do I have markings to marvel at with
the lambs, there is an endless variety of color.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs