[Jacob-list] Jacob lilac question

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 14:04:03 EDT 2001

Fred here; still puzzled by lilacs.   Like Neil, there is a 50-50 chance this
may be helpful but a 95% chance I am going to confuse the issue.  It has been
my sense (also called non-sense) that the lilac genetics seem to parallel and
include some of the concepts raised by Neil and, in part two, is void of
unequivocal evidence.

First, the standard.  The Jacob is a ... a dominant black with a recessive
piebald.  Then the standard goes on to say...the lilac is also a color.  What
is a lilac and why is it part of the standard?

The lilac GENE is a recessive trait.  To produce a lilac one must have a
lilac allele on each side...expressed or a carrier (which may look like a
black and white).  Two apparent B&Ws can produce a lilac; that is, each can
be a carrier.  Two true lilacs cannot produce the 'usual' black and white.

The lilac COLOR is PROBABLY black.  COLOR is our perception of light
reflecting off an object.  In the case of sheep fleece, the COLOR we see is
the reflection of color pigment (melanin) in the fiber which vary in shape
and arrangement. The black colors are a tyrosinase product (eumelanin);
appearing as grey, blue, brown shade. The other color (of no import for
Jacobs) is phaeomelanin which produce red through yellow.   It is my OPINION
based on what I have read, that the presence of eumelanin (black-brown
pigment) and phenomelanin (yellow-red pigment) in the same Jacob is extremely
improbable.

Neil recalled Phil Sponenberg's comment that the Jacob is "not black".  Is
that a statement as to what is seen rather than what is.   It is my opinion
that the Jacob is black (by definition) and the lilac color is a weaker or
less dense eumelanin pigment which is reflected by light in a range that can
be gray to 'blue' and deep black/brown to tan/light brown.

The posts from last year suggested some community confusion regarding
identifying the difference between the lilac and the DOMINANT 'prematuring
greying' gene that is observed in B&Ws.  Correct observation of the 'lilac'
is a basic requirement and may not be easy in all cases.

Where does the varied intensity of the eumelanin arise?  Is it possible that
a lilac carries a variant at the Extension locus OR carries a Dilution gene
... black diluted to light brown or bluesih gray? Dilutes tend to have
problems in some species; particularly in dogs. Is there a D locus for color
intensity?  Dilution of black (gray) would be recessive to intense black.  Or
is a lilac (unlike the black E dominant) an E recessive (E referring to the
Extension locus which also controls the amount of eumelanin)?   The E
recessive would explain both the recessive lilac genotype and the black
intensity.  Ryder suggests the 'lilac' gray could be from the Soay (p.
535ff).

The lilac (like black) should also be supressed by the homozygous RECESSIVE
piebald ss gene.  A Jacob color gene is more than one gene... and has
multiple alleles... and just as the ss gene "stops" the dominant black (to
place the white markings) in fixed and/or random ways, why not the lilac?  We
often speak of specific breed markings around the eyes, muzzle (nose and
mouth), knee and hock spots, etc.,  AND random breed markings around the
body.  Lilacs have been described as having the lilac ring around the eye....
muzzle?...leg? markings; that is to say breed specific and random markings
are BxW and lilac.  Lilac bodies are often associated with lilac eye rings.
But other markings (muzzle and legs) may be black...a repeated observation.
Which raises the next question, is the lilac a homozygous recessive (like the
'standard black and white)? ... or is the lilac a heterozygous Spotted sheep?

Second, the posts "THIS sheep looks like"... does not contain the information
that would be most helpful... the PEDIGREE and details of ALL PROGENY.  So
absent anything about the preceeding generations (known lilacs and
black/whites and their markings) and ALL the progeny, there is only opinion.
If the question involves the genetics of color, the answer is in the pedigree
and ALL the progeny.

We have had lilacs with lilac markings and black leg markings.  Our
experiments with lilacs are loaded with flaws and dead ends:  We acquired
some lilac Jacobs in 1995 from a midwest broker that were represented as Hume
sheep.  We started with Ole, a ten year old lilac and some lilac ewes.

Mandy (lilac ewe) was bred by Ole (a lilac Hume ram with black leg markings).
 Mandy had Andy a lilac ram and a ewe lamb named Sandy (a lilac with black
leg markings).  Sandy was bred to Hot Shot (Hatch ram) the following year and
produced Sweet Pea.  Sweet Pea carried the hornless gene (H+*hl) and was
scurred.  This color test was comprimised by the scur (ho+*hl) which
indicates a cross-bred trait that meant some non-Jacob genes.  Ole and
another Hume ewe Florrie produced quadruplets: Kamir, Kamon, etc, etc.
Again, this experience was compromised by Florrie's quadruplets (not usual
for a Jacob but more closely related to the Boroola gene).

Which brings me back to the lilac question and to repeat the suggestion: A
group of ten Jacob breeders with six generations of Jacob lilacs (accounting
for all progeny) with documentation should give a 95% confidence level as to
the Jacob genotype.   The English do not like the lilac because they do not
think it is a true Jacob..but they don't know what it is either.  We included
the lilac as a Jacob (American) color.  Why?  Someone knows the answer.

Fred