[Jacob-list] Jacob lilac question

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 23:55:20 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/4/01 3:51:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bissell at usit.net
writes:

> >> ???  Next, the lady from Scottland whose sheep are in these pictures and
>> whose sheep won for grand champion at the Royal Show in England for
>> something like 6 or 7 years in a row told me she had NEVER seen a "Lilac"
>> or any other off colored Jacob as long as she has been in sheep!!!!!!!!!
>> Now that is obviously over a long period of time and evidently covers a
>> lot of English and/or Scottish territory.  Just an interesting little fact
>> about coloration.   It still seems to me that this color gene, or what
>> ever it is, came from the Lincoln Park importation and then went thru the
>> Meyers, Reynolds, and other midwestern flocks and then on to Geoff Hatch
>> when he bought the Reynolds ewes.  And another thought - the first off
>> color sheep that I saw in the early flocks were primarily brown/gray/lilac
>> arount the eyes and in the body spots with ALL of the leg coloring black.
>> Only when the Meyers flocks started intergrating into the overall pictures
>> did the total body off colors start to show up at sales, in registrations,
>> etc to my knowledge.  Bob Hale brought some of the Meyers stuff into the
>> Cape and also some stock from I think the Jackson, Miss. Zoo - I bought
>> them because of the strong horns and the body color.  Did not particularly
>> like them but Sue Thaxton loved them.  So she ended up with them plus off
>> that Luther had bought from Evan Myers and then they all went on to Ed
>> Lanham.  Linda has a picture of the first really all over brown [???] ewe
>> that I ever saw and bought on her web site.  But she threw some absolutly
>> beautiful B/W lambs.  And the nicest ram ever born on this farm was off

Thanks for the input on the black leg spotting, Edd. By the way the lilac ewe
I'm referring to is a granddaughter of one your Jacobs that Mary Spahr got
from you.

Ingrid's book mentions lilacs being in the UK, but apparently they don't care
for them too much. I have a photo of the woman's Jacob that won so much over
there. It's in a book written in England on showing sheep. It's a beautiful
Jacob, but very unlike our primitives over here. It is very deep, wide bodied
and a wide muzzle. It looks like our commercial breeds, but with spots.

Joan Franklin