[Jacob-list] victims of mastitis

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Sun Apr 22 22:59:49 EDT 2001

Am wondering about the lambs of our ewe who has mastitis.  They are four weeks old (born March 23) and are not getting any milk at all from the mom at this point. I was wondering how long we had overlooked her condition, but read that with this type, the onset is sudden.  Anyway, they are eating grass with a vengenace and do not seem at all hungry.  While their playmates are wondering around tasting a blade or two, this set of twins is very focused on their task.  Are they too young to survive on this diet alone?  Do we try to intervene before they start acting unhappy, or just wait and watch.  Any thoughts?
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane Farm.