[Jacob-list] guard llamas

dbennet954 at earthlink.net dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 09:19:51 EDT 2001

Our neighbor had two male llamas and together they were fighting rather
than guarding, so we bought one of them in January. We initially put
Danny Boy in an isolation pen because everyone was getting ready to lamb
and kid and we weren't sure how he would react. The jacob ewes started
sleeping next to his pen each night. About a week after the goats had
kidded, I got up one morning to Danny Boy guarding the gate of the goat
pasture (he had jumped a 6 foot fence to be there). The goat buck had
jumped the fence and was guarding his flock and my older ram had torn
the gate off his pasture and was guarding his ewes.The threat seemed to
be long over by the time I arrived on the scene. Danny Boy checked out
the entire barn area ahead of the ewes and then got out of the way so
they could eat. The goat buck went right back to his pasture. We fixed
the gate, tapped the ram on the rear and he went back "home". Danny Boy
followed us up to the goat pasture, checked out their shed and then went
back to his pen. No one was missing or injured. We have since moved
Danny Boy in with the goats. He plays chase occasionally with the
babies, but is very careful not to step on them. The goats sometimes try
to steal his food and he whines, but he lets them.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre