[Jacob-list] Guard Llamas

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Sat Apr 21 20:12:17 EDT 2001

I had one llama who was not a 'people' animal but bonded with the flock and would consistantly lie just beyond the open gate in the pasture when the sheep would go into the corral for the night.  He was obviously ON GUARD at least until I shut the gate.  Neighbors reported seeing three coyotes walk up to the fenceline to do some sheep watching and that llama went to the fence closest to them and stared them down.

Now I have more than one llama.  They do not stay with the sheep but since I'm in a five acre very open flat pasture they can see all of the fenceline and they guard the territory.  They even go stand in the corner closest to the neighbor's when there are strange dogs there.  The sheep seem to go to them for protection.

I have heard very bad stories about intact males trying to breed sheep.  Nothing first hand.  When I bought my first pair I had the male castrated before letting then out of the trailer.

So I would agree that ONE llama with sheep bonds to the SHEEP but more than one llama in with sheep really are guarding their territory....which would certainly guard the sheep by default IF the area is small enough.  My first two llamas came from a very large spread out sheep ranch that was going out of business.  The rancher said he wasn't  impressed with the llamas as guard animals because they wouldn't stay with the sheep.  RIGHT.  Why should they??  Another local sheep producer has more than one llama but he keeps them in separate pastures with different groups of sheep.  No two llamas together.

mary