[Jacob-list] Guard Llamas

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sat Apr 21 19:14:21 EDT 2001

This reminds me of when people ask me generalized questions about Jacob personalities.
Such as - "are they friendly?"  "are they easy to handle?"  All I can really answer is some
are, some aren't.
Years ago, I sold a crossbred ewe with twins.  The man didn't talk much until he was driving
out the gate with the sheep loaded.  He paused and asked, "is there anything about sheep I
should know?"

Linda

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:08:06 -0700 (PDT), Susan L. Nielsen wrote:
>On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Mary Spahr wrote:
>
>> I received the exact opposite advice from Connie about guard llamas.
>> I was told that if more than one llama was with the flock, that it
>> would bond with the other llama and not the flock, becoming useless
>> as a guardian.  Now I do not know what to believe.  Perhaps others
>> can share their experiences.
>
>Llamas are individuals, a lot like Jacob Sheep. ;-) You have to
>shop for a guard llama, just as you would for an animal that gave
>you the fiber you wanted, or the hornset you want in a sheep, or
>the temperament you desire in a horse. A good guardian llama will
>have an instinct for territoriality and vigilance. It can be
>either a male or a female, though I have been impressed with a
>dam with cria as the most alert individual in my herd. Such a
>woman has a lot to protect.
>
>In my herd I have a range of behavior from an excellent dam who
>spots anything out of the ordinary anywhere in the landscape, to
>a fine gelding who cares for all the animals in the pasture (and
>who can count!), to the village idiot for whom nothing is important
>unless he can eat it. You just can't make a general statement about
>the personalities and behavior of llamas.
>
>Seek your guardian with the same vigor you would shop for a flock
>sire. You'll find one.
>
>Susan
>--
>Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      |"...Gently down the
>Beavercreek, OR, USA                   |stream..."
>snielsen at orednet.org                   |           -- Anon.

Check out our 2001 Jacob Sheep lambs at:
www.PatchworkFibers.com/lambs.html