[Jacob-list] Strange Love?

Susan L. Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Thu Apr 19 13:19:44 EDT 2001

One of my ewes is having an affair of the heart with my mule.
Now, _this_ is an odd pairing.

The ewe is my poor, heartbroken Lucille who lost her lamb back
when everyone else had one, or two, pretty little lambs to give
their attentions to. She was so insistent on trying to take one
of them that we put her into a portable pen near the lambing
paddock, so she could see the others but couldn't wreck anything.
She bawled for days.

During that time, the mule, William took to hanging out near her
little pen. He cropped all the grass around her, and spent a
fair amount of time just standing there, gazing off into his
inner mule. They have a particular schedule of morning and
evening trysts.

Well! Last evening William was too busy down in his woods to
come up at the regular time and Lucille, apparently, felt
deprived of her quality time. You never heard such a ruckus!
She was yelling her head off. She stood up in the pen and tried
to get over. She butted her water bucket. I am telling you, the
barnyard hath no fury like a woman scorned.

At last I went down to the woods and fetched William out of
the hollow where he was grazing strawberry plants, and led
him up to keep his date. A mule has responsibilities on a farm,
and one of them is to mend broken hearts. He needs to understand
how important a schedule is.

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      |"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA                   |stream..."