[Jacob-list] horn question

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Apr 12 17:21:57 EDT 2001

I recollect we chewed on this question in 1999 for a while.   Quite frankly,
there is NO UNEQUIVOCAL EVIDENCE for the genetic mechanisms of multiple
horns...and this question involves multiple horns AND scurs or aberrant horns
for which there is SUPPORTIVE EVIDENCE at least in two horns..but no
conclusive evidence for multiple horns and (what I think you are talking
about) aberrant horns.  I don't KNOW the genetics but this is what I THINK is
involved.

The terms that I am using for the trait observed may seem stupid but defining
what is observed is rather critical. For years horn related traits were
observed and probable genetic causes offered. But the probable cause must be
proved by evidence before concluding it is the genetic cause. Agreeing on the
recorded factual evidence we observe is critical.

Horn: The big black things on top and on four horns the smaller drop horns.
What you don't see is critical for a horn: a horn has a densely constructed
core of bone like material that grows from and is firmly joined to the
frontal bone, is veinous, carries blood, has a keratinous, fibrous, exterior.

The PRESENCE of Horns is probably controlled by a single autosomal locus
called Ho on Ch10.  There are probably three alleles at this locus:
(1)  Ho+ produces horns in rams and ewes which is the allele in the Jacob.
(2) Hohl is called the hornless allele which produces sex limited horns
(usually rams only).  A Hohl/Hohl produces knobs or bumps, or even scurs in
ewes but has no effect on two horn rams, i.e., rams have horns...I think this
is the scurred/hornless Jacob ewe arena.  I've never heard a report of a
hornless or polled "Jacob" ram.
(3) HoP produces polled sheep (polled being a "hairy depression" or "hairy
bump"). Is what is called a "polled" Jacob ewe really a Hohl hornless ewe?
I've never seen a polled Jacob.

Sheep scur: What you see is an observable (1) SHORT SCUR: a keritanous bump
that is most often very smooth, looks waxy and is very short, say 1 inch; (2)
LONG SCUR: a keratinous stucture, very smooth, appears waxy, has irregular
growth and is often assymetrical, longer than 1 inch, or  (3) ABERRANT HORNS:
looks like a horn, clearly fibrous keratin structure (black) but lacks a
solid core that penetrates the length of the sheath.  Aberrant horns may
easily break off; the base has little or no structure to support a core; some
wobbly horns are aberrant horns, some wobbly horns are the result of fights.
Look for small diameter or "flat" horns.

The PRESENCE OF SCURS including ABERRANT HORNS is apparently controlled by
the Sc locus which has three alleles (1) Sc+ the short scur; (2) Scls the
long scur and (3) ScAh the aberrant horn.  The ScAh is dominant to the Scls
which is dominant to the Sc+.  Thus one might expect to see a problem start
with aberrant horns, then long scurs then scurs.  Another way to consider it
is ScAh horns are smaller, lighter, extremely flat, looser than would be from
a Ho+/Ho+ or a male Hohl/Hohl.  The scur and aberrant horn alleles interact
with the Ho locus and are sex influenced.  Is the scur allele a "switch"
(on/off) or a "rheostat" (dimmer switch) for the Ho allele?

The NUMBER OF HORNS:  It appears the easiest to count, but errors are made
and this locus has the least evidence of any horn trait.  It is assumed that
the allele called HN+ for two horn and HNM for multiple horn (anything above
2) is an incomplete dominant.  (This is where the HMN and SUED defect may be
linked; the theory of the gene split for the multiple horn bud splits the eye
orbit and upper eyelid.)

What appears as a Ho+*HNM (4 horn ram) may be a Ho+*HNM*ScAh ram (2 horn with
2 aberrant horns).  The incomplete dominance of the four horn might explain
the ScAh (aberrant horn) but why Sc only on the drop horns on rams and both
horns on ewes?  Do Sc and Hohl relate to each other and how?

STARTER FLOCKS: Mary Ellen Hansson recompiled the AMBC flock book so it is in
a researchable form.  The AMBC book is a list of Jacobs and sheep people
believed might be Jacobs. There is no registration as such, inclusive rather
than exclusive and probably contains observation errors.  There are over 100
"double-named sheep".  But it is a place to look for leads to genetic
information.

Among the 1,168 sheep in  the AMBC book are 57 "hornless" (Are they truly
hornless, scurred (scur and aberrant horn) or polled ?) ewes listed.  Only
37/57 have partial or complete information; 25/37 "hornless" ewes are by
4horn sires over 6 "hornless" ewes;  6-2horn ewes and 5-4horn ewes. there are
only two "hornless" records for 2horn sire: 1 by a hornless dam the second by
a three horn dam.  Of the 57 "hornless" ewes, 21 are from two farms (Shady
Acres and Tribook) the rest are scattered   Shady Acres Big Al covered a lot
of "grade or crossbred" 0 horn ewes which I think is a clue to the "hornless"
and others clue one in to the "scurred" state.

The same rams and dams that produced "hornless" (hornless, scurred aberrant
or polled?) produced "horned" sheep which later appear in pedigrees.  Several
of the 57 "hornless" ewe progeny appear as dams for 2 and 4 horned progeny
sired by horned Jacobs.  The progeny are all ewes except for one ram, Unique
Enos by Reddy's out of Unique Claudia (0 horn).  The question on the table is
the accuracy of reporting a 2 and 4 horn sheep, i.e., were any of these
aberrant horned or scurred sheep?  The AMBC breeders started the search
(knowing or not); here we are 10 years later.

Reporting/recording/observation errors? I think so.  Look at the AMBC book
four horn progeny for Ho+*Sc. Some are reported:  Witruck's Pandora had 4
scurs, Home Wool Maggie had scurs, Yakob-Tson Nell and Vanessa had 2 horns
and 2 scurs, Puddleduck Maya had scurs.  Are others not reported? recorded?
not observed?  I'd bet a dollar.   Are the scurs reported long or short? Did
the parent or others related by descent have aberrant horns, scurs, horns?
But don't throw out the baby with the bath.

THE QUESTIONS:
The answer to your first question: Is the ram with two top horns and two side
scurs a two horn or four horn?  I think, genetically speaking, it is neither.

Your second question: Would he more likely produce a four horn than two horn
offspring?       As likely to produce a four horn offspring as a four horn
animal?
I'd guess, based on the little that is known, the two horn/two scur ram
(assuming mated a Ho+HNM ewe which you have more of) will produce a 4 horn
ram every time and a scurred or aberant 4horn ewe half the time...if horns
are sex influence neutral.  You might produce all two horn/two scur or
aberrant horns if the ewes are Sclh or ScAh.  But is the 4horn subject to sex
influence?

SEX INFLUENCE?  Would he more likely produce 4horn offspring than a 2horn
that never had scurs?  There is no record of a Sc two horn ram in any flock
book that I could find.  So assume the two horn is a true two horn (no hidden
seam stuff)... The AMBC progeny record shows a 2horn sire over 4horn dam
produced 23  2horns and 56 4horns...a 4horn sire over a 2horn dam produced 23
2horns and 58 4horns...a 4horn sire over a 4horn dam produced 315 4horns and
81 2horns.  There does appear to be some 4 horn dominance in this group; but
I excluded incomplete records and 3,5, and 6 horn pairings.

So that sort of gets one to 1990.  Without getting deeper into hot water, I
will leave reviewing flock books for the last ten years and observing horns
closely to you....or collect pocket change, a bunch of sib and variant horned
Jacobs, collect their DNA, look at Ch10 and other chromosomes for the
sequences...Ain't easy but don't bonk all the odd balls.  Odd balls tell us
who's got the right stuff. Sorry about the length of this.  Maybe there's a
pony somewhere in the closet.  Fred