[Jacob-list] Shetland question

Hauser Family mysticknoll at coupeville.net
Thu Apr 5 23:28:07 EDT 2001

Ed,
It's a seasonal thing that the Shetlands get a break in
their fleece with the onset of warmer weather this time of
year.  "Rooing" was the method of hand-pulling the wool off
the fleece used by the Shetland Islanders. To get around
this natural tendency to self de-frock, I shear in January
or February before the break (in the wool) and have never
had a problem. It's much better than shearing in May and
having that break (that looks like a weak fleece from a sick
or stressed animal if one doesn't know any better).
BTW, I'm selling most (but not all) of my flock (of
registered Shetlands and Jacobs) and have significantly
dropped my prices accordingly. Please email (or call) me
privately if interested. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Amy Hauser
mysticknoll at coupeville.net