[Jacob-list] FMD

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Tue Apr 3 09:00:58 EDT 2001

To all,

Here's a little more information as to why governments in Europe and
North America are so eager to eradicate FMD by slaughter rather than
vaccination as is done in countries where the disease is endemic.  Loss
FMD free status for a country means that trade in meat and animals is cut
off with other countries.  Since, at this time, vaccinated animal cannot
be distiguished from animals that have had the disease, the country loses
its FMD free status for two years or more as opposed to the few weeks or
months it takes to eradicate it by culling infected and potentially
infected animals.  Basically it comes down to money and greed.  The
governments don't care about rare or endangered breeds, a sheep is a
sheep in their minds.  All they care about is profits and taxes from
exporting meat.  Since the most money is made from beef, Britain is
willing to try to save the 'cash cow' as it were and the smaller
producers with less of an impact on GDP can suffer.  Since the whole
thing hit the news and has affected tourism, there is another big
incentive to eradicate FMD by the quickest method possible.  Tourists
equal big money, small farmers with rare breed animals whether they be
sheep, goats or whatever don't, therefore we lose.

Fighting this attitude will be difficult and time consuming, but in my
mind worth it.  Perhaps we could enlist the aid of environmental groups
with more political power to help.

Sam Bennett
Feral Fibre
Oakland, Or