[Jacob-list] digital pictures

D&K OBERLEF oberlef at desupernet.net
Sat Sep 30 08:53:11 EDT 2000

For us, digital camera seems the ideal solution.  We were spending too much time and money with a 35 mm simply because of the shots we didn't like.  I had one film out of which I saved only 1/4 the pack, mostly because of duplicates. I took several at the same place to make sure I got those shots I really liked.
The other big advantage is storage and organization.  Jacob pictures are fun in small quantities but after a while I was getting sick of having stacks of pictures around.  Especially when some of them were not even that great. Putting them into books did not help.  Too many black and white sheep become overwhelming. :)

With the digital, We could keep a separate floppy disc for each sheep and their lambs throughout the years.  I think it will be a great system for documenting.
It is true, I have been amazed at what can be done with software.  On the other hand, there are many other ways breeders can 'cheat' if they want to right now. Extra wool can be shaved off, parentage can be lied about, etc, etc.  I think most breeders out there would not want to take the risk of their cheating being discovered later.  Wouldn't do much for their reputation.
Royal, do you know anything about JSBA's feelings on the subject?  It is my understanding that the issue as come up within the JSC, but nothing was decided as of yet.
Katrina Lefever