[Jacob-list] portable electric fences, and dogs

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Mon Sep 25 19:31:12 EDT 2000

Sharon -

I use 3' high white woven web-fencing exclusively.  I have hundreds if feet
of the stuff, and it has worked great for my Jacobs.  Of course, there's
good and bad news:

First, the Good:  I have used it for two years, and  a Jacob has never
escaped.  It has allowed me to change the pasture configurations weekly, so
i get to rotate pastures with a minimum of investment (plus, we are also on
a granite ledge with only 6" of soil, so sinking permanent posts is out of
the question!)  The key is to train your sheep to the fence.  Get them
eating grass or grain with the tip of their noses through the fence. Once
they get shocked once or twice, they're scared of that fence for life.  The
lambs born here seem to find out early on their own.  "imports" - sheep
raised or born on other farms that are not used to the stuff - may take a
little longer, but they do become accustomed to staying free and clear.  It
has not only kept out dogs, I have SEEN a coyote racing away from the fence
yelping after a shocking sniff.

Now, the bad:  It will take you time to learn how to handle the stuff.  Do
NOT let someone just "tell" you how to handle it - - -have them show you,
and actually take up and put down some before you buy.  It is VERY easy for
the "untrained" hand to tangle this beyond repair.  No one showed me how to
handle my first string, and I completely ruined it in a manner of minutes.
It IS easy and convenient (I LOVE it!), BUT you really need to train
yourself as well as your sheep for maximum effectiveness!

Also, when training a new sheep to the fence, you may have some
entanglements.  i had one new ewe who was not trained to electric fencing
try to put her head through for a tasty morsel of blackberry leaves. She got
shocked and shrunk back, entwining all four horns in the fence.  She twisted
it so tightly around her horns we had to cut it off of her (the fence WAS
"fixable," and the ewe was NOT harmed).  She never touched it again.
 So - - -with a new introduction, train them quickly or at least "be on
hand" until they've learned their lesson.

thom