[Jacob-list] Dog Problems in Michigan

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Mon Sep 25 13:13:14 EDT 2000

You are very lucky to have the law on your side. As livestock oriented as
my area is, we were still told we had to document with pictures any
animal chasing our livestock and that we could end up in court if we took
action aginst the offending animal. When the next door neighbor's dog
went after my rooster, taking a picture was the last thing on my mind!

Around here, rather than put an animal down for chasing livestock, the
animal rights activists want to move the dog to a new environment where
they are not a danger. Ha!

I think you have to know who your neighbors are to be able to decide what
to do in a given situation. Our next door neighbor has done everything he
can think of to keep his dog home and she still comes over to chase my
chickens. The final solution came when the chickens escaped their yard
and moved in with the sheep (this dog is deathly afraid of the sheep).
However, I know that if I catch the other neighbor's dogs on my property,
they will have to quietly disappear, as he won't take responsibility for
their behavior.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre
Oakland, Oregon