[Jacob-list] What is this sheep, anyway?

Dr. David R. Lincicome wheaten at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 19 14:37:24 EDT 2000

1408 hrs/Tuesday 19 September 2000

Your thoughtful letter has resonated with me, for I too have wrestled
philosophically about the purposes and objectives of our commitment to
Jacob Sheep.  I am disturbed by the expressions of so many Jacob owners
about selection for this or that characteristic, about expressions of
preferences, about discarding specimens not having pleasing set of horns,
about color ratios too this or too that, etc.  Why do they disturb me?
Because these are not what we should be concerned about.  We should first
and foremost be concerned about preservation of what we have, and
conservation of that we have preserved.  The JSC recognized some of this
philosophical thought when it expunged personal preferences from its breed
standard.

The variability of genomic expression in the Jacob is what we should
accept.  Diversity is insurance that we will succeed in our efforts of
preservation.  Today there is adoo about showing Jacobs, and more recently
to organize a national show.  I can not think of any factor more
destructive to the preservation of this remarkable primitive species than
to subject it to the whims of judges in the show ring.  My 30 years of
experience as a Judge tells me a good way to destroy the diversity of the
genome is to submit to the preferences of judges.  We must not let that
happen to the Jacob.  Who of any Judge is authoritative enough to make
judgments of what is blue ribbon material in a Jacob?  I certainly would
not be willing to make such judgments in the show ring.  Showing in my
estimation is a sure path to genomic destruction.

It is good to have this off my chest!!

David Richard Lincicome, Ph.D.,PAS, DACAP
Frogmoor Farm since the late 1960's with Nubian and Pygmy goats, Jacob
Sheep, Tunis Sheep and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers
Guest Scientist, U. S. Department of Agriculture