[Jacob-list] Re: coyotes and horses

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 11:53:58 EDT 2000

In a message dated 10/18/00 9:10:21 AM EST, ekn at together.net writes:

>  After reading Sue's question, have to chime in about horses and coyotes.
> We've found that our morgan mare -- the "alpha" of all the farm animals -
has
> thoroughly intimidated the coyotes. We literally have coyote
"surround-sound"
> each evening but the mare has conditioned them to stay well beyond the
> pastures. I don't believe that just any horse can achieve this; our
> quarterhorse gelding doesn't seem to have an ounce of guardian instincts.

Morgan horses are notorious for hating dogs, and it is not beyond the
imagination to assume this would extend to coyotes as well. Some years ago
the neighbor's new, and very determined, St. Bernard  decided he was going
after one of my foals. He managed to make several attempts which were
thwarted by the mare before help arrived in the form of seven or eight more
Morgans and accompanied by one very angry mule. They didn't just want the dog
to leave, they wanted revenge. They worked that dog back and forth across the
pasture until he was ready to drop. I finally intervened and the dog managed
to escape under the fence never to be seen near the pasture again. He had
learned his lesson well.

Joan Franklin