[Jacob-list] Coyote problems

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Tue Oct 17 13:47:41 EDT 2000

Ranchers tend to attribute every chewed upon calf or lamb as a coyote KILL.
That is often not the case.  Birth is a tough process and unless there is
pretty close attention to the birthing some will be little carcasses that
need to be gotten rid of.  Of course a few feasts on dead calves or lambs
could encourage predators to stay pretty close and perhaps get aggressive.
The shooting is probably keeping a steady population.  Not a bad idea.  Once
there is a population habituated to killing stock it would be a REAL
PROBLEM.

My coyote loss was a BIG nearly full grown lamb.  It was run up against a
fence and pulled down by the throat.  I arrives just seconds too late.  The
coyote ran off and the lamb still had the expression on its face.  Not a
bite taken, just a torn throat.  Dog kills have not been so clean.  Lots of
rump chunks torn out.  Wounded animals.  Drowned animals.  UGLY.  And all in
the name of having a good time!!

mary