[Jacob-list] breeding

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Oct 6 08:09:24 EDT 2000

I will sometimes breed a father to his daughter just to see if there is a certain trait is
going to take over.  For example, I bred my slipped eye patch ram (who has very light facial
markings) to one of his daughters.  She was his only daughter who also had very light facial
markings.  I wanted to see if that trait was going to be a real problem later on.  The lamb
has big eye patches, almost a blaze face.  I realize that this is not enough of a sample to
prove anything, but it does tell me that I am not going to get 100 % slipped eye patches from
this line, which was my question.
I think you can do breeding like this IF and only if you are willing, as Gary says, to use the
mistakes for freezer filler - ewes and rams.  Any lamb expressing a recessive defect should
certainly not go into anyone's breeding population.  If the defect is known to be recessive
and thus carried by both parents, you might also want to be a little careful using the
parents.

Linda