[Jacob-list] RE: POISON IVY

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Sun Oct 1 08:23:42 EDT 2000

Hi,

Sheep do seem to love the poison ivy and they do a good job of cleaning that out.  They like poison sumac, honeysuckle, kudzoo, etc.  The problems comes in when you want to love on your sheep, or in the case of Elaina skirting and working with the shorn fleece, that the oils from the plants have become mixed with the lanolin in the fleece to form a regular treat for the allergic person.

My sheep got rid of the poison ivy long before they were shorn, and I did not wind up with specific cases from dealing with their fleeces and handling them.  I was very cautious not to touch them for quite awhile when they were first put in that area that was loaded with the known vegetation.  Many times, though, the first years when they were still clearing out the poison sumac around I would mysteriously wind up with serious cases of blisters and ivy-like reactions and it was probably due to my loving on my animals.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.