[Jacob-list] re: lending out our ram

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 29 19:29:23 EST 2000

Long day - should have read "lending out YOUR ram."   We are cutting lumber this week and have
just had company for four days, so my typing is as tired as I am!

Mary & Mary Ellen - Spahr Farm Lorraine and Rockies Sophia are both showing their pregnancies.
So we are counting down the days until the first lamb.

Linda

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:38:33 -0500, linda wrote:
>  Besides the health considerations, you might want to think how you'll feel when someone
>points to one of the crossbred lambs and says "oh, that's from Sharon's registered Jacob
>stock."  Many, many of the Georgia so-called Jacobs have Barbados fairly close up in their
>backgrounds and have been passed off to uneducated buyers as full blooded Jacobs. People see
>the crossbred lamb, maybe with spots and horns, and recognize it as a Barb cross and wonder
>what's hiding in YOUR lines.
>
> I loved the cat story.  In an old Spin-Off, someone wrote that anyone that spins and owns
>cats ends up spinning cat fur accidently as a result of cats doing their own style of fiber
>blending while rolling in the fiber basket.
>
> Linda
>
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:47:23 EST,  wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I need some advice from someone more experienced in sheep raising etiquette
> >than I am.  Someone near me who runs a petting zoo of sorts has 5 Barbados
> >ewes, and he wants to borrow, for a fee, our Jacob ram to breed them.  I
> >don't really want to do it as I don't want to expose the ram to the diseases
> >or parasites that the other sheep could possibly have.  I also don't want his
> >sheep here for the same reason, and also since we have no grass after this
> >year's drought. Am I being overly cautious?   He kept referring to my Jacobs
> >as "Jacobson sheep" even though I several times referred to them as Jacobs.
> >It sort of bugged me.  I know I don't have to do anything I don't want to,
> >but would it be unreasonable or rude to refuse?
> >
> >On an amusing note, to follow up the thread on animal tales and fiber
> >stuff...Last night we had a power outage for about 4 hours as a result of a
> >squirrel playing on the power lines.  We live in a 150 year old farm house
> >with fireplaces, so we had a fire going to keep warm and I decided to spin
> >Patchwork Dixie's wool by the light of an oil lamp and candles.  Very cozy.
> >Just like the olden days, I thought.   It wasn't very bright, but I could see
> >enough to spin. I haven't been a spinner for very long, so I am not very
> >fast, but I seemed to be zooming through the predrafted rolags I was using.
> >I was patting myself on the back for improving so much.  When the lights came
> >on I found big hunks of several of the rolags on the floor that the kitten
> >had secretly torn off as they hung over the side of my leg as I was spinning.
> > She even had one wrapped around her as evidence.  So much for my explosive
> >growth in spinning expertise.
> >
> >Sharon

> www.PatchworkFibers.com
> Registered Jacob Sheep