[Jacob-list] shearing

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Mon May 29 13:52:28 EDT 2000

Linda, a goat milking stand should work fine unless it has a side rail,
making it difficult to do both sides.  You will need to shear the wool from
the neck before putting them in.  Some of my sheep stand quietly when they
know they're stuck with nowhere to go.  Some make every effort to jump up and
out of the head hold,  they all have there own personalities !  My electric
shears are Lister brand and the instructions give a specific tension setting,
 I suspect that if you have to fiddle with the tension, something's wrong.
When I first started shearing, I tended to stay to far away from the sheep's
skin for fear of cutting them,  but I found that if you carefully lay the
blades against the skin they cut easier.  The wool seems to be straight and
clean right against the skin, and tangled and dirtier further out.  When you
find that "perfect position" , the shears will slide through the wool and
take little effort to cut.  Don't I sound like I know what I'm doing ! ;-)
Robin