[Jacob-list] shearing

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Mon May 29 11:45:37 EDT 2000

Linda and all, the book "Raising Sheep the Modern Way" by Paula Simmons has a
full chapter on shearing.  Its illustrated step-by-step with line drawings
and very well explained.  The book is an inexpensive paperback available at
feed stores and such.    I haven't been able to convince my sheep to lie
calmly like in the pictures as I shear, so I got a shearing stand.  I
straddle and hold them while shearing their neck quickly and then put them in
the head hold and shear the rest.  I'm terribly slow and careful but
optimistic that my skills will improve before I die !    Robin