[Jacob-list] Shearing

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Sat May 27 19:57:52 EDT 2000

Before we started shearing our sheep, we took a two-day shearing class
from the county extension agency. This year we took the one day advanced
shearing course, which helped a lot. I had gotten away from the New
Zealand method, devolving into a style I call "Cut What Shows" while
wrestling with the sheep.

We dip the business end of the shears into a shallow pan of water
between sheep. If a sheep is particularly greasy, a light brushing with
a small scrub brush cleans it off.

I'd been changing the cutting blade about every three sheep. Someone
said that I should be changing the comb every so often as well; does
anyone have any opinions on this?

We changed from the straight-toothed comb to a lyre-shaped gathering
comb this year and it made a world of difference. I have pictures and a
write-up on the combs at: http://members.home.net/rbfarm/combs.html

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland