[Jacob-list] re: shearing

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Sat May 27 11:56:07 EDT 2000

Mine have a sheep shearing head and the grazer comb recommended for sheep.
I've seen lots of people shear well with the same shears.  The problem is
with me  - not the shears!  The same with the hand shears  -  for some
reason, they just don't fit my hand and I don't like them.

Scissors may not sound very efficient, but they work for me.  I've had sheep
with the type of close fleece that were hard to shear with scissors.  I
don't like that kind of fleece, so those sheep are gone.  With open fleeced
Jacobs and scissors with a sharp point to separate the fleece, I can get the
best part of the fleece off in one piece.  The trash part I just shear and
drop on the ground to be raked up and thrown away.  Not all scissors will
work well.  I use the Fiskar bent handles.  A pair will last me a few years
(doing a dozen sheep a year). At that point, they are delegated to some
other job.  They do get gummed up after one or two sheep.  That's ok, cause
I'm about ready for a break then anyway.