[Jacob-list] Ewe rejecting lamb

Kathi Seaman kseaman at pacificrim.net
Fri May 5 01:21:19 EDT 2000

I have a first time ewe that gave birth to a single lamb.  After keeping
them together in a stall for four days I let them out with another ewe and
her new lamb, there were a couple other sheep out as well.  Everyone started
eating grain and by the time my first time mom finished eating her grain she
had forgotten what her lamb smelled like.  She is yelling for her lamb and
the lamb is yelling back but she WILL NOT allow it near her.  She butts the
little lamb viscously against the pen and tosses it up in the air.

I have never had a lamb rejected this long after birth and I am stumped as
to what to do.  Nothing seems to be working.    I have now separated them,
for fear that the ewe will kill the lamb.  I have sprayed lavender on the
ewes muzzle and am going to spray it on the lamb in the morning hoping that
she will accept it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Kathi Seaman