[Jacob-list] Pasture Questions

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Thu May 4 14:17:53 EDT 2000

Our pasture is producing dandelions at an alarming rate - in fact, as I
gaze out over the meadow it appears to have snowed, due to all the fluffy
little seed heads - they're everywhere, they're  everywhere!!!!     (The
grass suffered quite a bit from the drought last summer, and the
dandelions are filling in the bare spots!!)    If I apply a broadleaf
herbicide the white clover will also be destroyed, and  I will need to
keep the animals off for a period of time.  My questions are:  Is there a
herbicide that will target just dandelions?  How long after an
application of a herbicide should I wait before reintroducing the sheep?
Or, is there a better way to manage this problem?   Incidentally, the
sheep don't seem to mind but I have noticed their noses are yellow from
grazing among the dandelion flowers!  And converting all those blossoms
into dandelion wine is not an option - my previous attempts at that
resulted in a less than desirable potion!!!!!!
Thank you.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!