[Jacob-list] Graying and fading

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon May 1 11:10:19 EDT 2000

Fred here.  Beginning this exercise I am trying to simply describe what might
be observed.  The lamb is born with nice black spots and over the years, and
perhaps with each shearing, the new growth appears lighter even with defined
black  sheared coat spotting; roots are black tips are faded or gray. The
other case may be, you look at the sheared Jacob, the fleece and the spots on
the sheep's sheared coat seem to be fading or graying.

There are probably two issues; fiber and skin.  I am trying to begin with the
fiber.  The skin issue will require something more invasive.

The trait for graying (colloquially "fading") may be dominant.  If so, we
ought not lose the black in the process.  Maybe its not really a wide issue
but it seemed a concern last Fall.

Fred.