[Jacob-list] Skinny lamb

dazazel at usit.net dazazel at usit.net
Sat Jun 24 09:06:22 EDT 2000

When I got the stitches taken out of Bravo's tail the other week (I took him
in to the vet to have them do it and check on him while I was there), the
vet said she thought he seemed a little too skinny.  I thought about it
later and I am wondering if maybe that's normal for Jacobs.  The reason I'm
a bit worried about it now is I'm weaning him tomorrow--I was going to wean
him a long time ago but the vet said keep him on the bottle for a little
longer since he may have lost some ground what with the flystrike and all.
Should I be worried that he's still skinny?  Also I'm worried that I've
never seen him drink water (not that I see the other sheep drink very often
when I'm around).  Will he figure it out on his own when he gets thirsty?
I've set up a smaller trough where I know he can reach the water.  And is
grazing enough for him or should I feed him grain while he's still growing?
He hasn't shown much interest in corn or oats I've offered him, or pellets
either.  He grazes but he still doesn't seem to eat efficiently.

Can you tell I'm a new mama here? :)

Thanks,
Katherine

--
Visit the Valentin Peytchinov Fan Page at http://www.public.usit.net/dazazel/
Devoted to the best bass opera singer in the world!  AND the world-famous