[Jacob-list] re: chickens

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 11:18:15 EDT 2000

The Buff Orpingtons have my vote as well.  We had two hens who each
successfully hatched a nestful of eggs.  We thought one of them had been
killed by a fox, when my husband found her under the canoe with 7 newly
hatched chicks.  At this rate we will never have to buy a chicken again.  We
only have 4 sheep and don't have a fly problem, and I don't know if that is
because of the chickens or having just a few sheep.  I used to get 7 eggs out
of 8 chickens almost every day until a fox got 5 of them.  You will have all
the eggs you can handle.  Dogs love the extras in their dog food and friends
love the treat of home-grown eggs.  Our rooster is beautiful and just a tad
on the aggressive side.  He acts like he wants to attack sometimes, but never
does.

Sharon