[Jacob-list] chickens/fly catchers??

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Mon Jun 12 08:13:25 EDT 2000

I had chickens BEFORE sheep/goats/llams/deer/etc = never in my life did I
consider them as fly catchers - but I also had Muscovy ducks - and I DID
consider them as fly catchers extrodiare!!!!   Would stand around especially
in the afternoons when the flys seemed to light on the lower barn boards,
etc and ZAP catch and eat flies one after the other. But after reading this
list I think youall have enlightened me into the abilities of chickens that
I never even thought about......but I still have flys!!!!

I too have had ever breed of chickens you can imagine - right now and for
the past 8 or so years have kept Marams - a French/English breed that lays
the DARKEST egg you can imagine - my chickens too are free range - I do keep
feed up high in a gravity feeder where they roost - encourage them to go
into the rooste where I feel they are safer than outside in trees, etc.
These are a large bodied bird, coco colored, lay probablyu 200 eggs per
years, slack off in the cool winter months, gain weight fast and are sex
linked.   And if I had the time could sell EVERY egg and chick that I could
possibly produce.

=====
      Edd Bissell = Hidden View Farm = Rare and Primitive Breed Animals
Scottish Blackface=Jacob=Barbados=Texas Dall=Navajo-Churro=Churro Hairsheep
     ====Tennessee Nervous Meat Goats =  = Great Pyrenees LGDs=====
                  = bissell at usit.net = 423-475-4844 =
         1435 Collins Road - New Market, Tennessee U.S.A. 37820