[Jacob-list] chickens

SJohn21855 at aol.com SJohn21855 at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 07:51:47 EDT 2000

Hi all,
 I have raised Barred Rock chickens for a while, I love the hens they are
really gentle little hens. However, I have yet to raise a rooster that hasn't
gotten mean. I have a seven year old grandson that lives with me and a three
year old grandson that comes to visit and they have both been attacked by
roosters more than once. The roosters have only lived a short time after the
ill-fated attacks but when you raise chicks from the hatcheries you always
end up with quiet a few roosters. They made REALLY good chicken and dumplings
(yes, I am from down south). I have never raised any of the Buff
Orpingtons(?) but I have heard that they are indeed really gentle chickens. I
have had really good luck with the Araucana chickens. They are gentle
chickens and the kids get a kick out of the colored eggs. Plus they are a
heavy breed so they can go into the pot.
Shelly