[Jacob-list] chickens

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Sun Jun 11 15:19:09 EDT 2000

Tina -

After experimenting with a dozen breeds in as many years, I am a big fan of Buff Orpingtons.  They are without a doubt the gentlest of any breed we've ever had (great if there are children on the farm; even the roosters have been pretty tame). I have some that are 5 years old and still laying HUGE brown eggs, averaging about 5 per week each in the summer.  They have also been most likely to be "broody," meaning they want to sit on their eggs and hatch them after they've laid a clutch (most modern breeds have had this trait bred right out of them).  Once they "set," they stop laying, but if you take the eggs away, they get back to business.

Because they are also a bit on the "big" size, unwanted roosters are lovely additions to the soup pot . . .

And yes, they will fly atop and over the 4' chain link fence.  They used to fly over my 7' wire fence.  You can clip one wing to throw their balance off, but you will find it much less time consuming to just let them do their thing and give them a reason to "come home to roost" at night . . .

thom