[Jacob-list] chickens for fly control

dazazel at usit.net dazazel at usit.net
Sat Jun 10 09:03:12 EDT 2000

I have two hens that are freerange and until this spring I never noticed
very many flies at all.  Then after moulting one of the hens turned broody
and wouldn't budge out of the coop until a few days ago.  I wonder if that
may be part of the fly problem--one hen just can't do enough to keep the
flies down?  I also haven't seen the hen who was broody in a couple of
days--I hope she didn't wander off and get caught by a cat.  There are a lot
of cats around here and they can (and do) get through the fence, which is
why I haven't gotten any more chickens.  Maybe if I got a few dozen there
would be safety in numbers?  I really like the eggs too!

Katherine

--
Visit the Valentin Peytchinov Fan Page at http://www.public.usit.net/dazazel/
Devoted to the best bass opera singer in the world!  AND the world-famous