[Jacob-list] immaculate conception

SJohn21855 at aol.com SJohn21855 at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 19:45:38 EDT 2000

Hi all,
 I had the weirdest thing happen today. Back in December I bought my Jacobs
and a pair of Icelandic sheep. I wasn't sure that the Jacobs were bred so I
left the Jacob ram in with them until January.
 Two months ago the last Jacob ewe lambed, the Icelandic appeared to be
grossly overweight, but now lambs.
 Last week I moved the rams and ewes together into a grass enclosure. This
morning when I let everyone out I noticed that the Icelandic ewe was a little
red behind, but since I knew it had been too long since the ram was with her
I would watch her to make sure that she didn't have an infection. Later in
the morning I saw the Jacob ram breed her so figured that was why she was
red. I had to go to town so I moved everyone back into the smaller enclosure
where they are safe from roaming dogs. When I got back I let everyone back
out and noticed that she didn't come out. I walked out to the barn and lo and
behold there was a little face looking out of the stall at me. The little ewe
is the perfectly marked Jacob (of course it's a ewe, the purebreds were
mostly all rams) could never tell that she is a half breed. She is a tiny
little thing. Sure can't figure out when that ewe got bred. Up until last
week the two pens didn't even share a fence. Somebody must have snuck around
sometime, but I sure don't know when it would have been. This ewe was
scheduled to grace my freezer in about three weeks - guess that'll have to
wait now.
God Bless,
Shelly